Choosing The Right First Dance Song For Your Wedding
The first dance is one of the most important moments in a wedding. It’s a time for the bride and groom to share their love with their friends and family. This article will help you choose the perfect song for your first dance.
SPOILER ALERT: This article is NOT a gigantic list of song ideas. Seek that nonsense elsewhere. I genuinely believe that reading this article will help you find your ideal first dance song faster than an idea list you found on Google ever will.
It might seem like there is lot of pressure to choose the perfect first dance song for your wedding. Ideally, you want it to be meaningful, memorable, and a good representation of who you are as a couple. However, this doesn't have to be a stressful ordeal for you.
One of the most popular songs for the first dance is "At Last" by Etta James. The lyrics are perfect because they are simple yet meaningful and romantic. However, there are literally hundreds of songs that are just as meaningful and romantic as this one, and there are a dozen or more that would do a great job of showcasing this moment on your big day.
There are a few things to consider when choosing the right first dance song for your wedding:
First, you'll want to consider the genre of music that you and your spouse enjoy. Second, you'll want to think about what type of mood you want your guests to feel. Do you want them to feel romantic or upbeat? Finally, it is important that the song be something that both of you enjoy.
So, walk yourselves through these easy steps:
1) Each of you write down genres of music that you both enjoy. This MIGHT require a bit of compromise if you're vastly different people musically, but settling on a genre is the first and arguably the hardest bit. It's fairly smooth sailing after this.
2) Each of you write down artists within that genre that you both enjoy. Are you both country music fans (possibly from Edmonton)? Did you both write Tim McGraw? Boom; there's your artist. Are you both indie people? Did you both write Passenger? Done. He has plenty of music suitable for a first dance. You might end up landing on multiple possible artists here, and that's okay!
3) Discuss how you want the first dance to go. This is important. If you just want to hold each other for a few minutes, great. Want to do something more upbeat and, possibly, choreographed? Excellent. The key thing is that you're both on the same page here.
4) Based on your discussion from the previous step, write down all of the songs by the artist (or artists, if you're still not completely decided on one) that match the vibe you're going for. Don't worry if certain songs that you're writing down are ridiculously long, or if they have drawn out intros! Any professional DJ will be able to start the song at any point, and fade it out after the desired amount of time has passed.
5) There is no step 5! You're done! You now have a list of songs that truly represent your love <3
It might take some time to take this list and cross songs off until you land on "the one" but that's fine, because the hard work is DONE and you can be confident that you're going to use one of the songs on that list.
And, if you're TRULY stuck, get in touch with your amazing, professional, and super handsome DJ (hopefully, you've hired us by this point) and get them to help you out. Best of luck!